Alderney and Hillier Roads?
The third new road was named after William Aldersey who re-
turned to England in 1779 from a successful career in the Fast
India Company. He opened up the mad from Guildford to Wok-
ing
and

bought

the

paper

and

corn

nulls

in

Stoke.

He

then
bought Stoke and Stoughton and created Stoke Pads. Alderney
Road was fast laid out in 1904. William Hillier, the 4th Earl of
Onslow, sold the land on the Eastern side to Mr Robert Wood
who built four villas -now numbers 10,14,16 and 18.
In 1913
Richard William Alan, the 5th Earl, sold the Western side to
Miss Jessie Homby to build Ivor Heath and Butterfly Cottage.
Ivor Heath. The original ho
use built in the Arts and Crafts Style
has been sympathetically divided into separate apartments
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
The fourth new road was Hillier Road, named by the 5th Earl of
Onslow after William Hillier his father and Nathaniel Hillier his
grandfather.
The original houses, such as the one below, were
built
in

the

early

1900s,

again

in

the

Arts

and

Crafts

Style.
Pit

Farm

Tennis

Club

was

founded,

originally

in
Edgeborough
Road,

before

transferring

to

Pit

Farm

Road.

At

a
later
date

the

land

in

Pit

Farm

Road

was

sold

and

the

main
entrance transferred to Hillier Road.
There are two schools in the area. Tormead School for Girls was
founded in 1905 and first moved to Glencroft in Maori Road in
1912
and

then

to

its

present

site,

Tormead

House,

in

Cranley
Road
in

1915.

Both

these

houses

were

owned

by

Miss

Jessie
Homby and were occupied by the school on a friendly basis until
an official lease was drawn up in 1922. (A history of the school
"Girls in Blue" was published in 2005.)
Lanesborough Preparatory School for Boys, set in Maori Road,
was established in 1930.
It was sold to the RGS in 1978 to be
their Junior School.
It is also the Choir School for Guildford
Cathedral, providing all the Cathedral's choristers.
After the Great War, development continued on a smaller scale with
the
building

of

smaller

houses

on

the

existing

roads

and

in

new
developments
in

Hilgay

Close,

and

Cranley

Close.

These

louses
preserved
the

building

line

and

were

mostly

tile

clad

two

storey
buildings featuring variations of the Surrey cottage/barn.
most have now returned to residential use following stricter Fire and
Safety Standards which were uneconomic to incorporate.
A
number of villas were divided into flats but many have been restored
reflecting the demand for Larger family lames near the schools.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
In the late 1980s one of Lanesborough's playing fields was sold and
six
houses

built

round

the

green

to

form

Fielders

Green

which
provides an area of open space.
More
recently

the

push

for

super

high-density

development

in
Guildford has irereased pressure to demolish large Victorian villas
adjacent to conservation areas and replace them with high density
developments. By 2005 in Clandon Road and Lower Edgeborough
Road 67% of the pre 1896 buildings had been demolished. In the
Cranley Road area the figure is 53%.
It seems that, without protection, it is only a question of time before
we lose all the Victorian buildings that have, until now, defined the
look and character of the area. That is why we are so determined to
make
sure

that

the

protective

safeguards

which

are

written

into
Local Planning Guidance are maintained. To quote the Residential
design Guide:
"The Local Plan's Strategy seeks to protect and enhance the
character of the built and natural environment ".
We need to make sure new developments meet these criteria.
In the 1950s Tornead Road was
built connecting Cranley Road
to
Boxgrove

Road,

and

during
the next decade a number of the
Victorian
Villas

were

demol-
ished
and
were
replaced

by
"modem"
designs

which

made
no
attempt

to

preserve

local
character. Hilgay and Easington
Place are examples of this. Oth-
er large
villas in Maori

and Pit
Farm
Roads
homes but
became
nursing