The 1873 Ordnance survey shows no roads, other than Cross Lanes. Both Watford Farm and Pit Farm had access from London Road
The new railway opened in 1885. This cut off access to Watford Farm and the chalk pits at Pit Farm. Cranley Road and Pit Farm Road were created to provide access to the farms from Cross Lanes in the West and Epsom Road (then Merrow Road) to the South.
The 1896 Ordnance Survey shows Cross Lanes, together with Lower Edgeborough Road, Cranley Road and Pit Farm Road.