History of Aldersey Road

The third new road off Cranley Road, was Aldersey Road. Named after William Aldersey, the creator of Stoke Park.

Aldersey Road was first laid out in 1904. William Hillier, the 4th Earl of Onslow sold the land on the Eastern side to Mr Robert Wood. He built four Victorian villas, now nos 10, 14, 16 and 18 Aldersey Road.

In 1913 Richard William Alan, the 5th Earl of Onslow sold the Western side of Aldersey Road to Miss Jessie Hornby to build Ivor Court and Butterfly Cottage.