In 1894 William Hillier 4th Earl of Onslow sold the land at the top of Pit Farm Road to Mark Smallpiece. He built the Victorian villa called Clavadel House.
By 1962 Clavadel House had been converted into a Hotel.
The Clavadel Hotel is a good example of a late Victorian villa. Despite the address in Pit Farm Road, it enjoys a prominent position and frontage onto the Epsom Road, a main route into Guildford. As such it contributes to the visual impression of Guildford as a leafy historical town.